As a Canadian, I watched the nightly news with envy as my neighbors to the south hauled $100 flatscreen TVs into their cars every Black Friday.
To add salt to my wounds, Cyber Monday followed—another reminder of all the magical savings I was missing.
Luckily these days, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are globally recognized, and everyone can take part in the shopping frenzy.
And as a creator, this means no matter how small your business is or where your audience lives, you can participate—and make a nice profit!—during Cyber Monday.
Today, I’m giving you a step-by-step Cyber Monday 2021 marketing plan to promote your products, reach a wider audience, and increase sales.
But first, what is Cyber Monday?
Cyber Monday is an online shopping holiday where ecommerce businesses offer discounts and deals to their customers. In 2020, Cyber Monday was the largest online shopping day in history in the US, with shoppers spending $10.8 billion. It occurs the following Monday after US Thanksgiving—a few days after Black Friday. This year, Black Friday is Friday, November 26, 2021 with Cyber Monday happening on Monday, November 29, 2021.
These days, businesses of all sizes (and in all locations) participate in both Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Why creators should add Cyber Monday to their promotional toolkit
But as a creator, you might wonder whether Cyber Monday is worth it. Isn’t it just for big ecommerce giants like Amazon? Can solopreneurs and small teams reap the same rewards as big brands?
In short: absolutely!
In 2020, The National Retail Federation found that 77% of consumers were more interested in supporting small businesses during Black Friday and Cyber Monday than they had been in previous years. Consumers are excited to show their support to smaller businesses just like yours.
I spoke with Fani Purdy, a Marketing and Business Development Strategist who has taken part in Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Last year, she discounted her (now retired) marketing course for coaches from $497 to $397. When I asked how much she made in sales from her promotion, she told me a whopping $8,000!
If those numbers look nice to you, keep reading and I’ll show you the exact steps you can take for a successful Cyber Monday in 2021.
Your step-by-step Cyber Monday 2021 marketing strategy
As the desire to shop from creators and small businesses grows, creating a Cyber Monday strategy for your small business is essential.
Follow these steps to prime your creative biz for success during this year’s Cyber Monday sales.
1. Set up your Cyber Monday product
During Cyber Monday you can discount existing products or launch brand new offerings. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Offer a percentage off the regular price using a discount code: ideal for creators who have one product. You can set up discounts right in ConvertKit Commerce.
- Offer a free gift with each purchase: perfect for those who have smaller value items to give away. For example, a free mini ebook with each course purchase.
- Give early access to a new offer: the best choice if you have a new offer ready to go but not yet launched.
- Bundle multiple products together at a discounted rate: perfect for creators with several high-value items.
After choosing your deal, it’s time to create your product.
If you have an ecommerce website, you can add your product there. However, if you want to save time, create your product in ConvertKit Commerce.
ConvertKit Commerce lets you upload digital products to sell—like ebooks, courses, coaching programs, and subscriptions—and collect payment. No need to fuss around with payment processors and web developers.
After logging into ConvertKit, click Earn > Products.
If this is your first product, click Create a product.
Fill out the product details: give your product a name and choose your pricing method.
Next, add more information about what you're selling.
Then, fill out your domain or use a custom one.
Lastly, customize your product page, checkout, confirmation, and email receipt with ConvertKit’s visual editor.
And that’s it! You’re almost ready for the sales to start pouring in. Next, you need a landing page to convince people to buy your offer.
2. Create a custom landing page
After creating your product, you need a way to convince all those digital window-shoppers to buy what you’re selling.
And for that, you need a spiffy landing page.
Think of your landing page as your personal salesperson, chatting up prospects and guiding them to your add to cart button.
You want this salesperson to be put together, full of information about your product, and persuasive enough to convince visitors to convert. Remember: you have only 24 hours so let’s make it count!
So, how do you make an effective landing page? Keep these points in mind:
- Pique your audiences’ attention with an intriguing headline and subheadline: Mention their top pain points, talk about how your product can help them, and make it clear that your offer is only available on Cyber Monday.
- Make it mobile-friendly. Over 60% of people aged 16-44 use their mobile devices to shop. Create a landing page that works great on all devices to capture mobile sales. ConvertKit Commerce landing pages are mobile-friendly, so you don’t need to worry about losing customers!
- Optimize for speed. The faster your landing page loads, the longer people will stick around, read your copy, and hopefully turn into customers. ConvertKit pages load quickly, and you can further improve the speed of your ConvertKit landing page by optimizing the images you upload.
- Use high-quality imagery and design. Good design builds trust! With Cyber Monday, you only have 24 hours to make the best impression possible—you can’t afford a lackluster product page. If design isn’t your forté, use one of our expert-crafted landing page templates to get started.
To build your landing page in ConvertKit Commerce, head to Grow > Landing Pages & Forms > Create new.
Select Landing Page.
You can sort templates by the type of digital product you’re selling on the left or choose whichever one you like best.
After choosing your template, customize everything within your landing page, from imagery to fonts and colors!
If you already have a landing page on your website, add a Buy my product button to sell your ConvertKit Commerce products.
3. Create an email sequence to sell your product
Your email sequence should have at least five different emails for Cyber Monday:
- Cyber Monday announcement: send this email the week before Cyber Monday to build anticipation around your promotion.
- Reminder email: send this email a couple of days before Cyber Monday, reminding subscribers about your upcoming launch/promotion.
- Launch email with a countdown timer: on Cyber Monday, send an email to announce your sale! Add a sense of urgency to your launch with a countdown timer, so subscribers know exactly how much time is left to snag your deal.
- Last chance email: your subscribers’ inboxes are sales-central on Cyber Monday, and there’s a good chance they might miss your initial email. Send one last reminder email to capture any last-minute buyers.
- A thank you email/follow up: send a thank you email to those who purchased your products. Then, send a follow-up email pitching a lower-priced item if they want something at a different price point for those who didn’t buy.
We’ve put together an automation so you can access the above emails in your ConvertKit account! Add in your emails, make necessary tweaks, and test to ensure everything is in working order before Cyber Monday. This helpful guide walks you through the process of customizing the automation template.
Pro tip: If you plan to sell multiple products this Cyber Monday, do what Leanne Scott, a Passive Income Strategist, does. Leading up to Black Friday/Cyber Monday, she tags subscribers in ConvertKit based on their interests.
When Cyber Monday rolls around, Leanne has a segmented email list, and she knows precisely which offers to send to which people:
I tag my subscribers inside Convertkit every time they click on a link which gives me some clues about what they are interested in. I then send out emails about specific products to people on my list who I know are already interested based on their previous actions and interest. So, for example, if they are interested in my top offer, they'll get an email promoting that specific offer. If they don't have that tag, they'll move to the next conditional tag and so on. This stops each subscriber from getting flooded with offers but means they'll be far more likely to convert for a product they are already interested in.
– Leanne Scott
4. Develop your promotional schedule
Our launch timeline recommends starting to tease your promotion at least one week in advance. Like Leanne mentioned above, having a list of eager people for your products helps increase conversions.
To build a segment of people who want to know more about your Cyber Monday launch, create a landing page specifically for people to get Cyber Monday updates and tag everyone who signs up.
After creating your landing page, share it with your email list and your social media followers.
Here are a few more ideas to make the most of your Cyber Monday 2021 promotion:
- Create paid ads to reach more people
- Cross-promote with other creators who have Cyber Monday deals
- Go live on social media to talk about your promotion (before and during your launch)
- Add your landing page link to your social media bios
Make a splash this Cyber Monday with ConvertKit
Whether it’s your first—or next—Cyber Monday, taking time to prepare and promote your products helps you reach more people and make more sales.
And there are plenty of sales to go around as consumers look to support small businesses during the holidays.
There’s still enough time to get your Cyber Monday marketing up and running with ConvertKit.
Sign up today and make money this Cyber Monday with ConvertKit!