Do you really understand deliverability? Is a career in deliverability right for you? Deliverability is a niche topic and it’s sometimes hard for friends, family, and curious ears to understand.
But aside from innate curiosity, if you’re a sender, learning what a deliverability expert does can provide incredible insight into how deliverability actually works.
From educating to solving problems and balancing tech skills with empathy, Alyssa and Melissa walk through their daily lives as deliverability specialists, and talk about everything that goes on behind the scenes of a deliverability job.
“There is a lot happening each time an email gets sent and there are a lot of different parties involved. So part of our job is being kind of like the middle person and having relationships with the mailbox providers, the receivers.” ~ @alyssa_dulin
- [10:15] It can be hard to unplug from deliverability because it never stops. At all times, someone somewhere is sending an email.
- [21:36] Deliverability is complex. There’s so much that happens after an email is sent, and deliverability specialists are key in making sure that the lengthy, complicated process from sender to recipient goes smoothly.
- [24:50] As a sender, you don’t necessarily need to know everything there is to know about deliverability. But many of us are introduced to deliverability only when something goes wrong. Learning the basics of deliverability can help you prevent problems before they arise.
- [25:40] Deliverability specialists have an educational role. We know senders are often a team of “one” doing everything themselves. So our job is to make senders’ lives easier by being the email experts for them.
- [28:06] Deliverability specialists need to have an analytical eye but they also can’t get too caught up in the numbers and trends. In other words, you can’t rely on the trends. You have to look at each situation with fresh eyes. You also need strong communication and empathy skills.
Try ConvertKit's deliverability in action
It's now free to use ConvertKit with an audience of 1,000 subscribers or less! Start building your audience and reaching their inboxes: convertkit.com/pricing.
Stay in touch
To receive email notifications when new episodes of Deliverability Defined are available, or to submit topic suggestions, sign up to our email list.