As creators, trust is everything. The trust between you and the subscribers who stay tuned is the foundation of your business and the source of your creative freedom.
And while it can take months or years to build up hard-earned trust, it only takes one spammer to derail it.
In the tech-driven twenty-first century, spamming is more prevalent than ever. Unfortunately, an email list and an ESP mean you’re a prime target for spammers seeking lists, data, and, above all else, subscribers who trust your domain. As such, it’s important to take steps toward staying secure and spam-proof, for your peace of mind and for the sake of your business.
In this episode, Alyssa and Melissa discuss the top three steps for stopping spam, hacks, and phishing. From two-factor authentication to securing forms, double opt-ins, and the beauty of DMARC, here’s everything you need to know.
- [03:55] – An email list backed by a trusted ESP is valuable email currency. This currency makes you especially vulnerable to spammers and phishers.
- [06:48] – Using two-factor authentication at your ESP is essential.
- [10:19] – The most common damage spammers do is buy loads of subscribers or followers and send them spam or phishing links.
- [14:18] – Data breaches have long-lasting impacts. The two seconds it takes to double authenticate are worth it to avoid years of potential fallout.
- [15:06] – Use double opt-in and reCAPTCHA to prevent list bombing.
- [25:57] – Aside from spam prevention, double opt-ins ensure your list has the most engaged subscribers.
- [27:38] – Implement DMARC to prevent spoofing.
“One of the most important steps you can take to protect your email list and sender reputation is to add 2-factor authentication to your email service provider account.” – Alyssa Dulin
- Contact Us!
- Have I Been Pwned?
- Deliverability Defined 0106: Authentication (SPF, DKIM, DMARC)
- DMARC Record Checker
- Reply All
- Reply All #91: The Russian Passenger
Connect with our hosts
Stay in touch
Try ConvertKit's deliverability in action
It's now free to use ConvertKit with an audience of 1,000 subscribers or less! Start building your audience and reaching their inboxes: convertkit.com/pricing.